How to file a domestic violence case in Jammu and Kashmir

If you or someone you know has experienced domestic violence in Jammu and Kashmir, you can file a complaint with the local police or the Protection Officer under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA), 2005. Here are the steps you can follow to file a domestic violence case in Jammu and Kashmir:

1. Contact the police: You can go to your nearest police station or contact the Women’s Helpline (181) or the National Commission for Women (NCW) Helpline (1091) to report the incident of domestic violence. You can also file a complaint online at the Jammu and Kashmir Police website.

2. Lodge a First Information Report (FIR): The police will register a FIR based on your complaint and begin the investigation process.

3. Obtain a Protection Order: You can also approach the Protection Officer under the PWDVA, 2005 to obtain a Protection Order. The Protection Officer will help you file an application with the Magistrate’s court for a Protection Order that prohibits the perpetrator from committing any act of domestic violence against you.

4. File a case in court: If you want to pursue legal action against the perpetrator, you can file a case in the Magistrate’s court. You will need to provide evidence of the domestic violence, such as medical records, witness statements, or any other relevant documents.

5. Attend court hearings: You will need to attend all court hearings and provide evidence to support your case. The court will then make a decision based on the evidence presented and provide a verdict.

6. Seek medical assistance: If you have been physically injured, seek medical assistance immediately. It is important to document any injuries, bruises or other physical evidence of abuse, as this can be used as evidence in court.

7. Collect evidence: It is important to collect evidence of the domestic violence, such as photographs, videos, text messages, emails or any other relevant documents. This can help strengthen your case in court.

8. Obtain a restraining order: If you feel that you are in danger, you can obtain a restraining order against the perpetrator. This is a court order that prohibits the perpetrator from coming near you or contacting you.

9. Hire a lawyer: You can hire a lawyer to represent you in court, especially if you feel overwhelmed by the legal process. A lawyer can provide legal guidance and help you navigate the court system.

10. Seek emotional support: Domestic violence can have a profound impact on your emotional and mental well-being. It is important to seek emotional support from family members, friends, or a counselor to help you cope with the trauma.

Remember, domestic violence is a serious crime, and you have the right to seek legal protection and support. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence.

Top Legal Articles

Contact Lawyer

advocate nidhi choudhary jammu

Advocate Nidhi Choudhary

Call or Whatsapp: 8899711495

Lost your password?

Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in


184 Mayfield St. Hopewell
Junction, NY 12533